Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day of the Dead

I just received 'Day of The Dead Crafts' from Amazon yesterday and I've just had a chance to page thru it and I'm so excited to try some of the projects. The first thing that struck me with the book is just how bright and colorful the pages are, it's really beautifully laid out with lots of examples of Day of the Dead art.

I was so pleased to even find patterns in the back of the book to trace and use for your own art. Since I cannot draw to save myself, it's a wonderful addition. The instructions are easy to follow, although a bit sparse. Normally this would annoy me, but the projects are relatively straightforward and accompanied by clear pictures so I don't think it will pose a problem. Most of the projects are simple, but I think they give a good jumping off point to branch out into your own ideas; so don't expect complicated Day of the Dead masterpieces just a nice foundation to build from.

I can't say when I first became a fan of Day of the Dead art, I think it might have been as simple as running across my first Calavera but I've been hooked ever since. One of my favorite Day of the Dead artists, Tamra Kohl's work is included in the book which I was so excited to see. Take a moment to visit her Flickr page you'll enjoy your visit.

I have so many craft books at home and always vowed to try EVERYTHING.IN.THEM. That never works out does it? But since I was laid off I have a bit more free time to say the least, so I'm going to try and do one project from each book or tutorial I have saved. That might make for some interesting blog posts I think?

Anyway guys, go out and grab Day of the Dead Crafts

3 comments:

Hopemore Studio said...

Lisa, That book is very cool, I can't wait to see what you make. I know very little about the tradition but I just picked up a book called The Crafty Chicka at the library last week and she had some insight and crafts too. Polymer clay seems like a fantastic art form for these. Keep posting I'm very curious.

Angie

MisfitGirl said...

How funny Angie I was just looking at her books the other day, she was on the show Craft Lab once and made some very cool Mexican flavored art, let me know if you like the book as I have it on my Amazon wish list.

gekko422 said...

Very cool!! I love Day of the Dead stuff and am always looking at it when I am home.